Wednesday 26 February 2014

Text to Self Connections

Today we connected the story Grumpy Nicola to our own life, experiences, and feelings. 


We know readers are always thinking as they read, so as we read Grumpy Nicola we asked ourselves the following questions:

• What does this remind me of in my life?
• What is this similar to in my life?
• Has something like this ever happened to me?
• How does this relate to my life?

Then each of us made a text to self connections using one of the following
statements:

• This reminds me of...
• I understand how Nicola feels because...
• The setting makes me think about another place...
• I experienced this myself...



This reminds me of when I acted like a monkey. 


I experienced this myself because once I couldn't get to sleep and in the morning I was very grumpy. 


It reminds me of this morning because I was tired and when  I am tired I get really, really angry.


This reminds me of when I am grumpy and want to stay home. 


I experienced this myself when I think some places will be boring. 


This reminds me of waking up in the morning and feeling very grumpy and tired. 


This reminds me of not wanting to eat my breakfast.

2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea. My Y13 students do the same thing. Clever kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading these and learning something a little bit new about each of you. Ka pai Ruma Whitu.

    ReplyDelete