Monday 31 March 2014

Author's Purpose - By Allie and Julia

Julia and Allie volunteered to use their lunch time to complete this fantastic post about author's purpose, the reading strategy we have been practicing in class.  

We have been learning about author's purpose and what PIE stands for. P stands for persuade. I stands for inform and the E stands for entertain. Author's purpose is as easy as PIE

P - Persuade means when the author tries to convince the reader to do or believe something. 

I - Inform means when the author tries to teach the reader or provide information about a topic. 

E - Entertain means the author has written to make the reader enjoy the text.

We cut out some books from book orders and decided why the authors wrote each book.  Then we glued them in the right column.



We made our own PIEs to help us remember what PIE stands for.  Ms Grassi read us some paragraphs and we decided what the author's purpose was and we showed her on our PIEs.




We went on a hunt to find some books. 

 This was written to inform.

  This was written to inform.

  This was written to entertain.

  This was written to entertain.

                                 This was written to persuade.

12 comments:

  1. I loved doing this and saying what PIE stands for and talking to all our readers. Room 7 is AWESOME!!! PS: Our readers are AWESOME as well. We all work very hard at Maungaraki school. Allie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Ms Grassi - what an awesome learning activity. Well done to Julia and Allie for giving up some extra time to do some super learning! In Term 2, I would love to borrow some Author's purpose experts to come down and introduce the idea to Room 9! Miss Matich

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be fine with Miss Grassi If you borrowed some of us to talk to Room 9. It was quit fun doing this and maybe we could do it again.
      Allie

      Delete
  3. Yet again you impress me with how clearly you can talk about what you are learning and why it is important. I am proud of you all for how focused you are on these skills. Tino pai rawa atu!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Allie and Julia for doing this at lunch time. I am doing an Authors
    purpose task for my homework this week.
    Did you have fun making Authors purpose pies? By Dylan.C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Dylan. We had lot and lots of fun learning about what Authors purpose was and making our own PIES. From Allie

      Delete
  5. Wow, amazing job room 7!
    At home my sister Hannah gave me a book to read it was called "The Twits"
    It's purpose was to entertain
    What other writing things will you do?
    Can't wait to find out

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, amazing job Room 7. My sister gave me a book to read called "The Twits". It is a good book to read and its purpose is to entertain. Is everyone else having fun with PIEs? (Leigh & her mum)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work Allie and Julia :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome work ladies! My mum had no idea that PIE was an acronym for the authors purpose. I like stories that entertain the best like Captain Underpants stories. What do you like best?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for putting the PIE examples on the blog. It really helped me with my homework. Last night we read a story that entertained me, it was called I need a new bum! Do you like stories that entertain?
    Casey Auker

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked coloring in the pie

    Nate

    ReplyDelete