Friday 28 March 2014

Water Pollution Activity

Now that students understand the water cycle, we took our heads out of the clouds and took a look at the land.  Today we discovered what happens to water runoff and pollution that occurs all over the place, even far from a water source. 

We looked at how surface water will runoff land into rivers, streams, and creeks and will eventually reach the oceans.  The food colouring and oil represented different types of pollution.  We looked at how most of the pollution travelled to the water.  We also noticed that the pollution travelled to the water more quickly when it was raining (spray bottles and watering cans).  We also discussed how once the pollution reached the body of water, it moved throughout the entire body of water.


 Clean water prior to pollution.

 Polluting the land to find out what happens.

 More pollution!

 Then it started raining...

and raining...

 and raining!

We looked at how much pollution ended up in the water and 
how it spread through the body of water.

12 comments:

  1. Great activity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had fun doing this activity. Did you know that farming contributes to water pollution? I like swimming in Lake Taupo, I want to keep it clean! Another thing to think about is the impact pollution has on sea creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learnt a lot reading this post... I wonder what we can do to stop our precious water being polluted like this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a simple but important activity for us all. You all look really interested in this room 7.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was interesting learning about what happens when people pollute water and how bad it is.by Sofia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked this activity. It was so much fun and it taught me that land pollution travels down to the ocean when it rains. I will try hard to not pollute the waterways by tipping dirty water down sink holes instead of tipping it onto the ground. I wonder what other ways I can stop polluting the water ways? By Mia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ka pai Ruma Whitu! What a fantastic activity. We have enjoyed learning about the water cycle too! We did this today and we learnt that oil floats on top of the water and it doesn't go away! We wonder if land pollution also gets infiltrated into the ground as well?

    From Ruma Waru

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! Look how polluted that water is. Maybe we could learn more about how it harms marine life and humans.
    By Eli

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow great activity.I wonder how all that water gets polluted ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oyster farmers cannot harvest the oysters when it rains because oysters are filter feeders. so when it rains all the pollution from the land gets into the water and the oysters 'eat' this pollution. The pollution makes them unsafe to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved doing this experiment! wow I didn't think it would spread that fast! I find lots of pollution when I go kayaking. why do people do these things?
    By RICCARDO

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved doing this activity. Thank you Miss Grassi. This made me think about what we put in the gutters in our streets. I have seen lolly paper, cans in our storm water drains. Where does this rubbish end up?

    By Zachary

    ReplyDelete